In 1946, when Erma Duncan’s home-based studio where she taught ceramics became too small, the first Duncan® Ceramic Studio was opened in Fresno, California. Erma owned and operated the family business with her husband, Lee, and sons Bob and Dick.
At the new commercial site, wholesale distributing of ceramic products was added to the mix and first-of-their kind glazes were created and introduced.
After 23 years of sharing her ceramics expertise, Erma retired from the company. Thanks to continued growth and expansion, Duncan® Ceramics became Duncan® Enterprises in 1976, and by 1983, the third generation of the Duncan family was operating the business.
Duncan® Enterprises is proud to be a leading arts and crafts products manufacturer with an industry leading, worldwide network of distributors. Throughout its history, the company has remained committed to its core of ceramic arts under the Duncan® brand.
At Duncan®, we attribute our longevity and success to our list of guiding principles. These underlying core values guide all our interactions:
- Practice high ethical standards.
- Respect people and their ideas.
- Use education, training and recognition to empower team members.
- Embrace constant change, improvement and innovation.
- Be socially and environmentally responsible.
- Achieve long-term success and profitability for all stakeholders.
We’re just as dedicated to these principles today as we were when we started our family business over 70 years ago!